Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dimpled model with curves

Here's one of the very earliest origami models I made, in fact the first 30 unit model.  At the time, I was more interested in documenting the process of creation, so I have a bunch of photos

Shown are 30 units of various colors.  These days I usually assemble the units together as I make them, instead of making them all first.

I assemble the units together in a dodecahedral pattern.

The last few pieces were the hardest.  I recall taking pieces out and putting them back in a few times.

Dimpled model with curves, from Exquisite Modular Origami by Meenakshi Mukerji

Looking back, the coloring of this model is interesting.  Many unique patterns are used, but they're arranged such that the dominant colors form somewhat of a symmetric pattern.  They don't form a "symmetric coloring" in the mathematical sense, but rather, colors shift from red to green to blue.  I feel this is actually more evocative than the mathematical symmetric coloring.

At the same time, I'm critical of the choice to use patterned paper.  There are some pretty curls in the paper, and between the curls and patterned paper it's too busy.

0 comments: