Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vote vote vote!

Tomorrow Today is Election Day!  I am celebrating Election Eve by finally taking a look at this California voters guide here.
...
Oh, geez, I don't really have an opinion on most of this stuff.  And of course the stuff I do have an opinion on, I could never hope to say anything interesting about.

For example, I understand that Prop 23 basically prevents cap and trade from going into effect... so no on Prop 23.  Prop 19 legalizes marijuana under state law... so yes on 19.  Wow, I will never persuade anyone on these and my opinions are basically worthless.  Well, they're worth one vote I guess.

I think Prop 27 is pro-gerrymandering and prop 20 is anti-gerrymandering.  I, uh, don't really understand the pros of gerrymandering.  But, uh, several of the voters guides I'm looking at support 27 over 20, so maybe I don't really understand what's going on.

You'd think my skeptical knowledge would prepare me to sort through all this nonsense, but my feeling now is that it really doesn't.  It's not like they're using complicated arguments or anything.  It's just a bunch of one-step arguments that sound like bullshit.  The rebuttals in the official voters guide can't even be bothered to mention the opposing arguments much less address them.

I have only understood a small fraction of the decisions here, and then my internet went out for a few hours.  Clearly I am a terrible American with terrible internet service.  Now it is Election Day already.

6 comments:

DeralterChemiker said...

I'm disappointed in you. How could you possibly wait until Election Day to make up your mind? The issues are much too complex for that. Prop. 19, for example, is a recipe for chaos, even if you favor legalizing marijuana (which I don't). The taxes that might be collected would never pay for untangling the legal and law enforcement mess. And our ability to think is much too important to let chemicals mess with our minds.

Prop. 23 is a blatant attempt by Texas oil companies to take away the power of our legislature to limit the amount of gasoline that we need to run our cars in California---but there is no cap-and-trade, here or in any state. Prop. 23 is part of an national movement opposing scientific evidence. This time it opposes the evidence on global warming. In the future it will be another attempt to teach creationism. Or to oppose stem cell research.

You are right that Prop. 27 is pro-gerrymandering and 20 is anti-gerrymandering. Gerrymandering is what keeps lawmakers of each party entrenched in power.

Never again wait until election day to decide how to vote. You are under attack by the rich and anti-scientific, and if you don't vote for what you believe is right, you will lose.

miller said...

Cap-and-trade is to be implemented within a few years by AB 32. However, Prop 23 would repeal AB 32, and therefore prevent cap-and-trade as I said.

miller said...

Excuse me, not repeal. Suspend until unemployment levels decrease below 5.5% (basically indefinitely).

DeralterChemiker said...

I read AB32 as saying that the ARB is supposed to work on a scoping plan with other western states and Canadian provinces, and that cap-and-trade is part of this scoping plan, but it will not become law without further action of the legislature.

drransom (aka toillE) said...

How did you end up voting on that stuff?

The propositions we're expected to vote on are far too complicated: how on Earth am I expected to have an informed opinion on corporate tax carrybacks?

At least you're in Berkeley rather than the city: I had to vote on propositions AA through N.

miller said...

I think I glanced through the official voters guide and a few websites and looked at party endorsements. Then I just voted on the theory that I am at least as well-informed as the average voter. Not sure if that's really true though. I ignored most of the local elections and propositions.