Thursday, January 10, 2008

I attend a skeptical meeting

So I attended for the first time a meeting for the campus skeptical/secular/atheist group. I will be brief, because I don't care to detail my personal life on the internet, much less talk about other people's lives. Some members of the group are potentially reading this.

First impression: The members are... what's the opposite of down-to-earth? This is coming from a guy who talks to the internet about things that are utterly disconnected from real life. Retrospectively, Nica Lalli was down-to-earth. She would talk a lot about New York and the weather. These people, on the other hand...

I came wondering what exactly people would do at such a meeting, but apparently they have lots to do. They talk and talk and talk. About everything. From science to politics, and the nerdy to the irreverent. It's like the internet all over again.

It was also highly disorganized. If conversations were particles, I would describe the meeting as being in entropic equilibrium. This is probably the fault of the president, who has been perpetually absent for the last few months.

Anyways, I met some pretty cool and unique people. Freethinkers are so darn individualistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"If conversations were particles, I would describe the meeting as being in entropic equilibrium." I loved that description!